Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Turning Locks & Opening Undead

Using the cleric's Turn Undead table as a variant thief ability.
Undead HD/Challenge Level instead refers to Dungeon Level.
The thief rolls 2d10 to meet or exceed the number.  On a successful roll, the thief has opened the lock and/or disarmed the trap.  Both will reset and require a new roll when the door is closed (spike your doors!).
On a result of T, the thief has permanently jammed the lock or trap.
On a result of D, the thief can open, lock, disarm, or reset the trap at will and without rolling.

The increased chance of success in many cases should be offset by the increased frequency of the rolls.  The thief is successful more often, but must risk failure more often as well.

3 comments:

  1. Interesting idea. I may have to give that a shot the next time my group plays S&W...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I concur. Going to use this in my next session involving this particular challenge.

    Can't wait to see how it plays out. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice!

    Although I prefer some amount of variability even at higher levels, which is why I ended up using these turning undead tables in my game:

    http://rpgcharacters.wordpress.com/2013/05/12/alternate-turning-undead-rules-tables/

    It allows for multiple levels of results - one roll to determine if a T or D result occurs.

    ReplyDelete